Friday, May 25, 2007

Best of the Week - May 25, 2007

Best Movie: Although I haven't actually seen many films this week, I did finally watch Park Chan-wook's Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. I loved Oldboy and really enjoyed Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, but this one topped them all. It was beautifully shot, intricately structured (without relying on a twist ending, like Oldboy), and had a truly heart-and-gut-wrenching conclusion. Damn near perfect on every level.

Best TV: Without a doubt, it was the Lost Season finale. Heroes ended nicely, but was a bit anti-climactic (although I loved the final shot!!). But Lost --- hoo boy! Lots of good stuff from start to finish. Can't wait to see where they go from here, if I can remember anything about the show by next year.

Best Reading Material: DC's Countdown yanked its neck out of the noose this week with a pretty tight issue. There were a few poorly executed moments, but all-in-all it was a solid issue. I'll keep getting it. Captain America returned with the first new issue since the assassination and was pretty darn good, if a bit disjointed. Newuniversal was about the same: good but disjointed. It'll probably read much better in one sitting than it does in the monthlies.

Best comic of the week, though, goes to Ed Brubaker's Criminal #6. It's the start of a new story with a whole new cast, and in one issue has set up a very interesting revenge story (and I'm a sucker for revenge stories -- see above).

Best Music: Nothing new this week. What can I say? I'm poor. I did listen to Marilyn Manson's new one and can honestly say that it is the first time a Manson cd has let me down. I don't even want to listen to it again. It's deleted.

No comments:

Post a Comment